Saturday, July 26, 2014

Out of the Furnace

I've been a huge fan of Christian Bale ever since American Psycho. Very few well known actors immerse themselves in their roles like he does. So I was happy to see him playing an all-American in what was advertised as a revenge flick.

But it wasn't a revenge flick. It was falsely advertised as a movie about a man avenging his brother's death by whatever means necessary... and it didn't deliver.

Kiss him?

The main issue I had was that the movie itself is two hours, and he doesn't try and get revenge for his brother until there's 20 minutes left. He doesn't even fight hordes of villains, like I thought he would (even though he successfully meets the gang who kidnapped and murdered his brother). Sure, it was fun to watch Woody Harrelson as the supervillain (whom I've been a huge fan of since watching True Detective), and I really liked the chemistry between Zoe Saldana and Christian Bale, but I got annoyed when I realized the conflict was just Casey Affleck's character wanting fast money. That's almost the entire plot of the movie.

Kiss him?

If I can sum it up in one word, it's "unsatisfying". I kept thinking Christian Bale was going to become some sort of hero, but he just ends up pursuing Woody Harrelson (Harlan DeGroat) with a sniper rifle near the end right after the police told him specifically not to.

On the plus side, there were a lot of funny moments. It's got an all-star cast (including Willem Dafoe, and Forest Whitaker), but ultimately, I wish the actors could have improvised the entire thing. That would have been a treat.

Kiss him?

No comments:

Post a Comment